Facelift and Neck Lift
What Is Facelift and Neck Lift Surgery?
Sagging facial skin and fatty jowls may be prematurely aging your facial appearance. Tight, smooth skin plays an important role in creating a youthful and bright complexion. While we can attempt to prevent skin laxity from developing, for many, it is impossible to avoid. Luckily, you don’t have to live with loose facial skin and muscles. A facelift, neck lift, or combination of the two can restore the smooth, youthful contours of your face and neck.
The Benefits of Facelift and Neck Lift Surgery
- Removes excess facial skin
- Eliminates excess fat from the jawline and neck
- Restores definition along the jawline
- Smoothes facial wrinkles on the lower face
- Decreases vertical banding of the neck tissue
- Achieves a more youthful appearance
Facelift and Neck Lift Procedure
- Incisions are placed inconspicuously in the hairline
- Standard incisions run from the temples, downward along the hairline, and behind the ears
- Mini facelift techniques utilize a shorter incision placed behind the ears
- The facial skin is separated from the underlying muscular structure
- Drooping facial muscles are pulled tight and sutured into place
- Excess skin and fat are removed
- The remaining facial tissue is draped to highlight the new facial contour
- The incisions are closed
- An incision is placed discreetly beneath the chin
- Liposuction or direct excision is used to remove excess fat from around the jawline
- The platysma (neck) muscles are pulled tight and sutured together
- Excess neck tissue is trimmed away
- The remaining neck skin is repositioned to enhance the new definition of your neck
- The incision is closed
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Mesbahi
Frequently Asked Questions
A. Most facelifts and neck lifts are performed using general anesthesia to ensure patient comfort and safety. However, patients who require minimal correction might be able to use local anesthesia during their procedure.
A. Your face will appear and feel swollen for about two weeks. Initially, you should always keep your head elevated, even while sleeping, to minimize swelling. After one to two weeks, most patients can return to work. You will be required to limit your physical activity for four weeks following your procedure. After six weeks, most major swelling will have subsided, and your final results should become visible.
A. With proper care, such as eating a healthy diet and not smoking, your facelift or neck lift results should be long lasting. However, even though your surgery corrects existing sagging skin, it cannot prevent future sagging from occurring. Most patients receive routine facial treatments such as injections or laser rejuvenation to prolong the effects of their surgery.
A. Dr. Mesbahi takes great care to place all incisions in easily concealable locations. However, more extensive correction may result in some visible scarring. Any scarring that does develop is likely to fade over time.
A. Facelift and neck lift surgery only provide correction to the mid and lower face. If you have forehead wrinkles or drooping brows, you should consider combining other facial procedures with your facelift and neck lift. A brow lift corrects low-hanging brows and forehead wrinkles, and eyelid surgery corrects wrinkles and puffiness around the eyes.